Finishing off our meat unit (the seemingly random cookie bars from yesterday were because it was our last block day and I had to get our practical final in on a block day) today with chicken nuggets!
A general crowd pleaser, I give them an Italian twist and aim to show these kids that chicken nuggets can be made at home and can be BAKED.
I start by explaining how these will be different than what they’re used to. Know how the breading on typical nuggets can be entirely peeled off, like it’s a different entity? These aren’t like that, because they aren’t over-breaded and deep fried in fat. Equally as tasty – more so even, if you ask me.
Italian style because of the Italian style bread crumbs, along with the garlic and onion powders. The poultry seasoning might be an ingredient you don’t have at home and you could totally omit it and still have great results. You could also sub 2 tbsp. olive oil for the butter.
2 tbsp. butter
½ lb. boneless skinless chicken breast
½ egg *
¼ c. milk
½ c. Italian style bread crumbs
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. poultry seasoning
1/8 tsp. onion powder
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
*To get half an egg, beat an egg in a glass measuring cup and pour out two tbsp. An egg is generally about 4, so half a beaten egg is 2 tbsp. beaten egg.
1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
2. Put butter in an 8” square baking pan. Place in oven to melt the butter. Check on butter occasionally and remove from the oven once it has melted.
3. Cut chicken into square pieces- 1” by 1”
4. Beat (with a fork) the egg and milk in a small bowl.
5. Mix bread crumbs, salt, poultry seasoning, and onion and garlic powders together in a small white “cereal” bowl.
6. Dip chicken pieces into the milk mixture.
7. Roll the pieces in the bread crumb mixture till completely coated.
8. Place breaded chicken in the pan and roll in butter so all sides are covered.
9. Bake for 10 minutes or until tender and no longer pink inside.
A short and simple recipe… my first pd. kids were lined up at the door waiting for the bell, which means a recipe is truly simple.
This would be great with kids OR to make it super fancy, take a toothpick and spear the chicken, along with a cherry tomato, a piece of fresh mozzarella cheese, and a basil leaf. VERY delish and classy appetizer.