You gotta love an egg sandwich. I have a secret dream to have an egg sandwich shop; all egg sandwich, all the time. Now, if you hate runny yolk then turn away, you won’t like this sandwich. I personally believe that runny yolk is sort of like heaven and if you think you don’t like it, it’s probably that you misunderstand it. Just add salt.
You can have an egg sandwich for breakfast, lunch or dinner. You can make it as healthy or as unhealthy as you like. It’s the perfect meal! For this sandwich I went healthy on the bread, as Ezekiel bread is worth the price to me and it’s all we have on hand. I did bacon, because husband likes bacon and I always have it in the freezer. Next was two over-easy eggs and some sliced cheddar/mozzarella blend cheese.
The take-away skill from this recipe is how to perfectly fry an egg over-easy without flipping it. This is how my mom has always done a fried egg; not only is it healthy but it’s SO much easier than the flip. Read on.
The Perfect Egg Sandwich
2-3 slices bacon
2 pieces whole wheat bread
2 tsp. butter, divided
2 slices cheddar cheese (or cheese of your choice)
salt and pepper
1. Toast the bread and spread 1 side of of each slice with 1 tsp. butter. The butter side goes “in” for the sandwich.
2. Lay bacon evenly on a paper towel lined plate, covered with paper towels. Microwave a little less than 1 minute per slice (I made three slices of bacon so I cooked them for 2 minutes and 30 seconds). Once cooked and cool enough to handle, arrange on one slice of buttered bread.
3. Heat a skillet over medium high heat for several minutes.
4. Put the rest of the butter (1 tsp. or so) into the pan and swirl to coat.
5. Gently crack eggs into pan. Fill a small glass with about 1 tbsp. of water and place it next to the pan.
6. As eggs begin to turn white, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
7. When the bottom of the eggs look almost cooked but the tops are still wet, pour water into the pan and place the lid on. After about 1 minute, check to see that the top of the egg is steamed over. When you shake the pan the eggs look cooked and only the yoke will jiggle.
8. Top eggs with cheese slices and replace the lid. Wait about 30 seconds.
9. Remove cheesy eggs with spatula and place on top of the bacon. Top with second slice of bread, slice and serve!
Tessa entertained her daddy until his sandwich was done. No, she doesn’t have an abnormally large head, this is just a tough angle.