Burgers? I know – it’s October, but this is not the kind of burger you’re likely picturing. This is an INSIDE burger, and it makes you look forward to Thanksgiving! Sharp cheese, sweet cranberries, tangy mustard, tart apple, and tender, scrumptious turkey come together to make for one fun weeknight meal. Serve with roasted sweet potato fries and a salad (the rest of the lettuce from what you used on your burger), and you will feel like you’re indulging when, in reality, you’re sitting down to a perfectly balanced, good-for-you meal!
This burger comes together in less than 30 minutes. I actually adapted this recipe from one in Rachel Ray’s mag so it’s proven to take 30 minutes or less. I wasn’t able to take a whole lot of pictures of the process, so I’ll take a minute to elaborate on the “hardest” part – cooking the burger. Make sure your skillet is on medium, and let it heat up for at least five minutes. Add the oil and swirl to coat the pan, then place patties on the pan. Let burgers get totally golden before flipping (probably about 5-7 minutes). Once flipped, let cook for about 3 minutes – then top with apple slices and a mound of cheese. At this point, place a lid on the skillet (if you don’t have a lid for your pan, you can use a sheet of foil). This traps the heat and let’s the cheese melt nicely without burning the bottom of the burger). As soon as the cheese is melted, double check that the bottom of the burger is golden. If it is – remove from heat right away and place on prepared buns.
FYI, these are smaller burgers. They adequately fed me, my mother-in-law, Tessa and my husband, but keep in mind if serving to hungry customers that the recipe is easy to double, as any leftovers will be great for lunch the next day.
Apple-Cheddar Turkey Burgers
1 lb. ground turkey breast
2 scallions, finely chopped
2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
1 tsp. “mixed up salt” or grill seasoning
1 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 apple, thinly sliced
1/2 c. grated sharp cheddar
1/3 c. whole berry cranberry sauce
3 tbsp. whole grain mustard
4 English muffins or sandwich thins, toasted
4 leaves leaf lettuce
1. Mix turkey, onions, parsley, and seasonings together and form into 4 flat patties.
2. Heat olive oil over medium heat in a nonstick skillet or grill pan. Add patties and cook until golden on the bottom.
3. Meanwhile, slice apple and grate cheddar.
4. Flip burgers and top with apple slices. Let cook for several minutes, then top with cheese and place lid on skillet. Cook until cheese melts.
5. Meanwhile, mix mustard and cranberry sauce together.
6. Spread mustard mixture on the bottom of 1 slice of (each) muffin or bread and top with lettuce.
7. When cheese has melted, place burger on lettuce leaves and complete the sandwich with remaining muffin/bread slice.
8. Serve immediately.