Make these now. I could go on and on about how good they are (as I take typing breaks so I can scoop more into my mouth) but we are in a MAJOR rush as my gym child care is opening in 20 minutes and if we are stuck in the house with our 1 year old much longer, bad things will happen.
You will probably carve a jack-o-lantern in the next 24 hours and be left with lots of gooey seeds. Don’t throw them out! By simply boiling them in water you will get all the stringy goo off – then toss the clean seeds with olive oil and spices and roast for 45 minutes! Easy. I might buy some on-sale pumpkins in the next week or two, just to make more seeds.
Barbecue Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
Makes 1 1/2 cups
1 1/2 c. pumpkin seeds (from one large pumpkin)
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. chili powder
pinch cayenne (or more if you like it hot)
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. Bring water to boil in a saucepan. Add seeds (and strings and goo) and simmer for several minutes. Drain and dry seeds.
3. Toss seeds in mixing bowl with oil and spices.
4. Cover a rimmed baking sheet with parchment or foil. If using foil, spray lightly with nonstick spray.
5. Spread seeds evenly on pan and bake for 45 minutes, stirring once.
6. Let cool on pan, then store at room temperature in an airtight container. Will keep for several days.