Lentil Salad with Spinach, Walnuts and Parmesan Cheese
America’s Test Kitchen
1 c. lentils, picked over and rinsed
1 1/2 tsp. salt, divided
6 c. warm water
2 c. chicken broth
5 garlic cloves, lightly crushed and peeled
1 bay leaf
5 tbsp. olive oil
3 tbsp. sherry or white wine vinegar
4 c. baby spinach
1 shallot, minced
3/4 c. coarsely grated or chopped parmesan cheese
1/3 c. chopped, toasted walnuts
1. Combine lentils, 4 c. warm water and 1 tsp. salt in a bowl and soak for 1 hour.
2. Drain well (drained lentils can be refrigerated up to 2 days before cooking).
3. Heat oven to 325 degrees. Combine drained lentils, remaining 2 c. water, chicken broth, garlic, bay leaf, and 1/2 tsp. salt in medium (oven safe, meaning no plastic or rubber) saucepan.
4. Bake, lid on, for 40 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, whisk oil and vinegar in a large bowl. Next, place 4 c. spinach and 2 tbsp. water in a bowl and microwave, covered, for 3 minutes.
6. Let spinach cool, then squeeze as much liquid as possible from spinach. Roughly chop and set aside.
7. When lentils are finished, drain well (and remove garlic and bay leaf). Add drained lentils, shallot, spinach and parmesan cheese to bowl with dressing. Toss well.
8. Serve, sprinkled with toasted walnuts.