Crockpot Turkey Orzo Soup
2 medium onions, diced
4 carrots, sliced
3 celery ribs, chopped
4 large garlic cloves, pressed
1 tbsp. fresh thyme (or 1 tsp. dried)
1 tbsp. tomato paste
1 split skinless turkey breast (1.75 lb), trimmed of visible fat
8 c. chicken broth
2 bay leaves
3/4 c. whole wheat orzo or elbow macaroni
1 c. frozen peas
1/2 tsp. salt
1. Mix onion, carrot, celery, garlic, thyme, and tomato paste in crock pot.
2. Nestle turkey into mixture. Pour chicken broth over mixture. Add bay leaves.
3. Cook on low, 6-8 hours.
4. Remove turkey and let cool enough to handle. Shred.
5. Meanwhile, increase heat to high and add orzo. Cook for 20 minutes or until orzo is tender.
6. Add back shredded meat along with peas and salt and let cook for several minutes until heated through. Serve.