Teacher moment: There are 16 tablespoons in a cup. 1/2 cup, therefore, has 8 tbsp. 1/4, 4, and 1/8 c. has 2 tbsp. Below where I say 1 1/8 c. sugar? That’s 1 c. plus 2 tbsp. Just FYI.
Blueberry Jam Muffins with Brown Sugar Streusel
Makes 18 muffins
1 (12 oz) bag frozen blueberries
1 1/8 c. plus 1 tsp. sugar
2 1/2 c. flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
4 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
1/4 c. vegetable or canola oil
1 c. buttermilk or clabbered milk *
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/3 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. oats (quick or old fashioned)
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
2 tbsp. butter
*To make clabbered milk, place 1 tbsp. white vinegar or lemon juice in a liquid measuring cup. Fill to 1 c. with lowfat, reduced fat, or whole milk. Stir and set aside for several minutes.
1. Preheat oven to 425 and line a muffin tin with paper liners. Combine 1 1/3 c. frozen blueberries with 1 tsp. sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to boil over high heat and reduce to simmer. Stir occasionally, cooking for about 6 minutes or until thickened. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside to cool.
2. Meanwhile, whisk flour, baking powder and salt.
3. In another bowl, whisk sugar (1 1/8 c.) and eggs until pale yellow, about 1 minute of constant whisking.
4. Add butter and oil to egg mixture and whisk to combine well.
5. Add buttermilk and vanilla and whisk well.
6. Add wet mixture to dry mixture along with the rest of the blueberries. Mix gently and DO NOT OVERMIX.
7. Spoon mixture into lined muffin cups, filling about 2/3 of the way full. Place 1 tsp. of the reduced blueberry mixture on top of batter and, using a toothpick, swirl the mixture into the batter.
8. To make topping, combine ingredients in a small bowl and use your fingertips to cut the butter into the sugar/oats. Sprinkle mixture over muffins.
9. Bake for 17-19 minutes or until golden brown and “set” in the middle.
10. Let cool for five minutes in the pan and remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Will keep at room temperature for several days but they’re fantastic served warm.
Baby girl gobbled hers up lighting fast and then pointed at the counter saying, “MORE!” for at least the next three hours.