I’m usually pretty wary of the word “creamy” when it comes to food. More often than not, it signals a splurge-worthy dessert or pasta dish typically reserved for the no-no list. So I wondered: Is it possible to create a yummy, creamy chicken dinner that’s low-cal and low-fat to boot?
Yes, friends, it’s possible. I paired this tasty dijon chicken with brown rice and steamed broccoli for a nutritious weeknight meal and made a mental note to stash this no-fail recipe away for company. Even better, the total prep and cook time for this entree is just 20 minutes. But you can totally tell your guests you slaved away for hours—I won’t tell.
Creamy Dijon Chicken
4 chicken breasts
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1/3 c. Light or nonfat sour cream
2 tbsp. creamy Dijon mustard
Juice from ½ a lemon
1 tbsp. water
1 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
1. Combine paprika, kosher salt and pepper and sprinkle on both sides of the chicken.
2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add oil.
3. Add chicken and cook until golden brown (about five minutes), then flip and cook until the second side is golden brown.
4. Remove chicken to a plate and tent with foil.
5. Reduce heat to medium low and add sour cream, mustard, lemon juice, water and parsley. Stir, scraping up brown bits from the pan until heated through and combined, about 2 to 3 minutes.
Per serving: 319 calories, 18 fat grams, 109 milligrams cholesterol, 533 milligrams sodium, 34 grams protein.