An easy, weeknight, chicken dinner! I don’t know about you but I feel like too many of these recipes is never enough. We, as a people, love us some chicken breast.
This recipe tastes a lot like chicken Piccata, if you’ve ever had it, but without the capers. I don’t care so much for capers, and I’m the one cookin’ here. I put this dinner together with items that are staples in my kitchen – lemons, parmesan cheese, frozen chicken breasts, and garlic. The parsley I found in my vegetable drawer has seriously been there at least a month – but I swear was bright green and happy. I cooked my chicken dinner with this bionic parsley and was remembering that one winter in West Chester, my parsley in the garden never died! It lived ALL WINTER! Parsley is much less finicky than other herbs so maybe you, too, already have it on hand.
You know how chicken at a restaurant has that golden brown crust and the sauce in thick and delicious? The secret is flour. A bit of flour to dredge the chicken, a bit of flour to thicken the sauce. Not a lot, just enough to make it much more enjoyable.
Easy Skillet Chicken with Lemon and Parsley
4 tbsp. flour, divided
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
4 chicken breasts, sliced or pounded thin
3 tbsp. olive oil, divided
2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1 c. chicken broth
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1/4 c. finely chopped parsley
parmesan cheese, for topping.
1. Mix 3 tbsp. flour, salt and pepper in shallow bowl. Dredge chicken to completely coat and shake off any extra flour.
2. Heat 2 tbsp. olive oil in large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken and brown, then turn to second side and brown. Transfer chicken to a plate and tent with foil.
3. Add remaining 1 tbsp. olive oil to pan and reduce heat to medium low. Add garlic and remaining 1 tbsp. flour. Whisk and let cook until garlic is light brown and fragrant (about 20 seconds).
4. Add chicken broth, lemon juice and parsley and let cook, whisking occasionally, for about a minute until mixture thickens slightly.
5. Add chicken back to pan and nestle in sauce. Let cook for several minutes or until chicken is heated through.
6. Transfer chicken to serving plate and top with remaining sauce. Add freshly grated parmesan cheese to chicken and serve.