Fact – children (and let’s be real, the rest of us) like food that is fun. How else could you explain every kid’s addiction to rainbow sprinkles (or jimmies, which is what you call them if you ordered your ice cream in Philly or at the Jersey Shore)? The flavor is more akin to candle wax than sugar, yet treats are 1000% more fun when they’re chockfull of them.
Of course this is the case when it comes to biscotti. I’m sure I’ve mentioned this before, but biscotti are one of the few cookies that are as acceptable at breakfast as they are for dessert, plus they bake all at once instead of in batches. Another plus for these babies? They’re dairy free!
Not only are these brightly colored, the topping sets them apart. The course sugar with a touch of salt to balance it out makes them seem like they’re “glittery”. Needless to say, cookies that are easy to make (no mixer, no softened butter), bake all at once, are rainbow hued AND glittery? Sounds like a holiday win.
Makes about 4 dozen
3 large eggs
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. vegetable oil
1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
3 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 heaping tsp. table salt
1/2 c. slivered, toasted almonds
1/2 c. rainbow jimmies (the wax sprinkles)
Topping – 1/4 c. coarse sugar or sanding sugar, 1 tsp. kosher salt
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line a large baking sheet with parchment or silpat.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, vanilla, oil and lemon juice until smoothly combined.
3. In a second larger bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt. Add egg mixture to flour mixing and stir to smoothly combine.
4. Add almonds and jimmies and fold to combine.
5. Widthwise on the baking sheet, make three logs, about 2 1/2 inches wide, about 12 inches long and about 1 1/2 inches high. Sprinkle evenly with sugar and salt.
6. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove and let cool about ten minutes. Remove to cutting board and slice into cookies, 1/2 inch to 1 inch thickness to preference. Return to baking sheet with cookies laying on their sides.
7. Bake another 15 minutes at same temperature. Let cool and store at room temperature.