I’ve mentioned before that my husband has an autoimmune disease. For this reason he has eaten sans gluten for over three years, but in early January he decided to try the AIP diet, or autoimmune protocol. It’s depressingly basic and also new, so the world of Pinterest recipes has not yet caught up. Luckily I enjoy a challenge.
The rest of us haven’t had to change much about our diets but it’s easiest for me if dinners are AIP. With no grains, dairy, sugar, soy, eggs, nightshades (tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) or alcohol allowed, it’s not always easy. This dinner was actually loved by all, even though it wasn’t much to look at. It’s boku veggies, so beautifully healthy, works for most diets out there (if you’re vegan just omit the beef), and was seriously so delicious I was psyched I wrote down the amounts as I went because I want to make it weekly. I removed Rich’s portion and then added the cheese; the cheese put it over the top with flavor, but he still loved his.
Spaghetti Squash with Beef, Mushrooms and Spinach
1 lg. spaghetti squash, stemmed
1 1/3 lb. grass fed beef
1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, divided
20 oz. white button mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 medium or 1 lg. white onion, thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
6 oz. fresh baby spinach
1/4 c. finely chopped fresh parsley
1/4 c. finely chopped fresh basil
1/3 c. Parmesan or Pecorino
Olive oil or cheese to top
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray and cut squash horizontally or vertically. Remove seeds. Place on baking sheet and bake 45 minutes, turning half way.
- Meanwhile, sauté beef in large skillet. Drain fat. Add 1 tsp. of the salt. Stir and remove to bowl.
- Add mushrooms to empty pan and sauté over medium high heat until liquid evaporates. Place onions in microwave safe bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave five minutes.
- Add 1 tbsp. olive oil to pan with mushrooms and add onions, along with garlic. Add 1/2 tsp. salt. Sauté until golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.
- Add baby spinach and toss until wilted. Add meat back to pan and stir to combine.
- When squash is cool enough to handle, remove strings with fork. Add to pan and stir to combine. Add most of the herbs to the pan, along with cheese if using, and stir to combine.
- Serve AIP meal with olive oil and fresh herbs, and serve everyone else with cheese and herbs.