Do you say turmeric or “toomeric”? Definitely got in a nice, civil argument with a friend about it. Turns out both ways work. I love when, in a conversation, you both keep using it the way you think it’s supposed to be pronounced. Like, “I’ve started taking turmeric supplements”. “Oh yeah? I cook with toomeric all the time”. Regardless, I’ve taken turmeric supplements for a while now but, though I own the spice, haven’t cooked with it yet. Here was a recipe from ATK that called for it with a list of other ingredients that work on my husband’s diet. Winner!
And, like so many of their recipes, it was. I switched things up just slightly and really like the end results – so much so that I’m saving it here for when I need some anti-inflammation with my delicious dinner.
This is a great breakfast for dinner option – probably my most used dish since Rich has been grain free for a while now. It can be made ahead and reheated, it’s full of protein and can be full of veggies as well. It can be eaten at room temperature or hot, paired with sliced fruit or a salad and it’s a one pan dinner (my favorite). This one had a great flavor and is just gorgeously healthy. My kind of diet food.
Frittata with Broccoli and Turmeric
12 large eggs
1/3 c. milk or water
1/2 c. parmesan or Romano cheese, divided
2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme leaves
1/2 tsp. kosher salt, divided
4 c. small broccoli florets
1 shallot, minced (or 1/3 c. minced onion)
1 tsp. ground turmeric
1/4 tsp. black pepper
3 tbsp. water
1/2 tsp. lemon zest and 1/2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Whisk eggs, milk, 1/4 c. of the cheese, 1 tbsp. of the olive oil, the thyme and 1/4 tsp. of the salt in a mixing bowl.
- In a 12 inch nonstick skillet, heat remaining 1 tbsp. olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add broccoli, onion turmeric, remaining 1/4 tsp. salt and the pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes or until broccoli is crisp tender and bright green.
- Add water, lemon zest and lemon juice and stir constantly until it’s absorbed.
- Add egg mixture and reduce heat to medium low. Stir/scramble with rubber spatula until mixture begins to set (but is still very wet), about 2 minutes. Smooth into an even layer and sprinkle remaining 1/4 c. cheese on top. Place in preheated oven (middle or upper rack).
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until slightly puffed and firm on the top when touched. Transfer to cutting board and let cool five minutes before slicing and serving.