Another crowd-pleaser from my teaching days. We made these, of course, in the protein unit. The kids loved them and many made for their families at home. I’ve never bought the frozen chicken nuggets from the store, but my daughter had some at a friend’s house the other night and I felt bad, like I’ve been depriving them. Not bad enough to buy some, just bad enough to make them.
I remembered this recipe and voila – dinner (for the kids) was served, with plenty to freeze for future nights. I don’t make two dinners as a rule of thumb but as Rich’s diet is specific, sometimes I’ll have leftovers but not enough to serve everyone; I’ll give what’s left to him, make the kids something easy and I’ll eat any random food I can get my hands on along the way (with a bigger bowl of ice cream afterwards). This is where these nuggets will come in handy.
My kids eat a lot of cooked veggies but not as many raw, so I’ve been working that into dinner. Nuggets with some diced avocado, carrots, and bell peppers is a nice looking meal. Anyway, I wanted to share because even if your kids eat store-bought nuggets most nights, they might enjoy trying their hand at making them. The recipe couldn’t be easier (remember, 14 year old boys successfully made them in the past), and man are they tasty.
Oven-Baked Chicken Nuggets
2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/4 c. milk
2 c. seasoned breadcrumbs
3/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. poultry seasoning
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
8 tbsp. butter, cut into several pieces
- Cut chicken into 1 inch chunks.
- Whisk egg and milk in a small bowl.
- In a second larger bowl, whisk breadcrumbs, salt, poultry seasoning, onion powder and garlic powder.
- Dunk chicken in egg mixture then breadcrumb mixture then set on a plate.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 475 degrees. Place a 9×13 rimmed baking sheet in the oven.
- When chicken is ready, open oven, scatter butter over pan and close the oven door. Let heat for several minutes until butter is melted.
- Remove pan; dunk each piece of chicken in melted butter and the set it buttery side up in pan. Continue until all the chicken is situated evenly on the pan.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Let cool, and serve.