Alternate title is “Healthy Zucchini Bread”. I realized I didn’t have any zucchini bread on my site and I believe the reason is that the zucchini bread most people love is so laden with sugar and oil that in reality, it’s zucchini cake. I have these double chocolate zucchini muffins on the site which I still make every fall when zucchini is so prolific it’s hard to get rid of. I wanted something new.
I found this recipe on Epicurious.com. I read through the comments sections and pieced together their suggestions – cutting down the oil with apple sauce, reducing the sugar and using whole wheat flour. When the bread came out of the oven my mom mentioned, “that doesn’t look like my recipe, it looks drier”. Definitely, since there isn’t two cups of vegetable oil in it.
This recipe is for the home, not for the party brunch table. I cut it warm and spread cream cheese on top for the kids – instant hit. This morning I microwaved slices with some cultured butter I got from WCGM and WOW. It’s so good, I wanted to make sure the recipe got saved so that next time I’m not floundering through the internet, looking for the recipe that got away.
Makes 1 large, 10 inch loaf
3 large eggs
1/2 c. avocado oil
1/4 c. unsweetened applesauce
1 c. brown sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
2 c. shredded, squeezed dry zucchini*
2 1/2 c. white whole wheat flour
1 tbsp. cinnamon
3/4 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking powder
3/4 c. chopped pecans, toasted
*Grate the zucchini on the cheese grater (largest holes) and place in a clean kitchen towel. Wring out the towel/zucchini until it stops releasing water. Measure and proceed with recipe. For me it was one large zucchini.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk eggs and oil in medium bowl until frothy and smoothly combined. Add brown sugar and cinnamon and whisk until smooth. Stir in zucchini.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and baking powder. Add wet ingredients to dry and fold until just combined. Gently stir in nuts.
- Spray a 10 inch loaf pan with nonstick spray and press in a parchment sling. Add batter to pan and smooth.
- Bake for 65-70 minutes or until the top springs back when touched.
- Let cool in pan for several minutes and then remove using sling to wire rack to cool completely. Slice and serve with butter or cream cheese.